The Mobile Move: How to Encourage Grocery Shoppers to Go Mobile
After explaining why you should get in-store shoppers to download and use your mobile shopping app, now it’s time to discuss different ways of doing so. Here are a number of suggestions that should help you send a clear message to shoppers regarding the value of using your grocery shopping app.
- Communicate the benefits to in-store customers: When shoppers visit your store, expose them to the idea of using the app by publishing the app’s name and advantages throughout the store. Let them know that it will save them time and money from the first second. You should also train employees to communicate this message and help customers start using the app on the spot.
- Create an easy offline-online transition: Now that in-store shoppers are aware of your app and express interest in using it, make it super easy for them to get started by including a QR code in your ads. Take advantage of the momentum and turn their curiosity into installs. Chances are that this will be their first encounter with your digital presence, so make it a smooth and seamless one.
- Spot tech-savvy users: The use of in-store technology is on the rise, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, and it prepares shoppers who didn’t use mobile shopping apps up until now to make the move. For example, when encountering 87% of shoppers who prefer stores that offer touchless self-checkout options, retailers should first recognize the opportunity and then capitalize on this in-store behavior to offer more digital services, such as a mobile app. Taking things to the next level would include presenting a relevant message on in-store screens. The same goes for shoppers who join your brand’s social-media communities or communicate with your business online.
- Help struggling users: Believe it or not, some people weren’t born with a smartphone in their hand and could use some mobile use guidance. The irony is that elderly shoppers who seem to struggle more with certain technologies also have the most to gain from mobile grocery shopping, especially right now. Build a user-friendly app that includes simple and clear text and doesn’t assume that everyone is mobile fluent. Add support features, and guide in-store staff to identify and assist users who are aware of the app but continue to shop exclusively in-store because they struggle with it.
- Offer incentives: This may be the oldest trick in the book, but it’s there for a reason. Give mobile shoppers special offers and promotions for downloading and using your app. Communicate these offers as part of your in-store ads and make sure to follow through on your promise, otherwise users’ first mobile interaction with your brand will be rather disappointing.
The above ideas should help you turn frequent in-store shoppers into devoted hybrid or mobile ones. Once shoppers start using your app, they will hopefully figure out the benefits and never want to uninstall. That is, assuming you built a great grocery shopping app to begin with. Not sure how? Contact shelfy.io or read our guide on the topic!
More M-Commerce news and industry trends for you
3 Reasons Why Retailers Should Embrace Mobile Shopping Apps
Some retailers are a little hesitant to offer a mobile shopping app, let alone encourage their existing customers to use it on a regular basis. When speaking with executives at supermarket and pharmacy chains, we learn time and again that they worry about replacing in-store visits with online purchases for different reasons. While their concerns […]
August 2, 2020
Swift swipe: 8 tips to get mobile commerce right, right away !
In recent years, it became impossible to ignore the rising power of online and mobile commerce. According to Business Insider, we can expect to see this trend continue to grow in the near future, as more companies embrace the advanced technological features offered by these platforms. And yet, many businesses still struggle with the transition to […]
August 12, 2020
Shelf Life: The Mobile Version of Shelf Positioning & Product Placement
When shoppers visit a physical store, each and every part of their journey is meticulously designed to encourage certain behavior, leaving nothing to chance. The art of product placement and shelf positioning has a significant impact on their purchase decisions, which makes it a major focal point for retailers. Product positioning experts have a deep understanding […]
August 25, 2020
Retailers, Forget About ‘mobile-First’ and Embrace a Mobile-Only Approach
Smartphones have become such a fixture in our lives, it almost feels like they’ve been around forever. Perhaps that’s why looking at statistics from just a couple of years ago may be shocking, as we realize that the frequency and form of mobile use still continue to change dramatically. In 2018, the world was excited […]
August 27, 2020
What grocery retailers and brands can learn from McKinsey’s latest report
A recent report from Periscope by McKinsey, titled Retail reimagined: The new era for customer experience, sheds light on the rapid transformation of the retail world following a survey of thousands of shoppers in the US, the UK, France, and Germany. The report confirms the accelerated change in behavior we’ve all been experiencing lately, but […]
August 30, 2020
The Real Deal
How to create a Mobile Shopping Experience That Feels Like a Visit to a Physical Store
August 31, 2020